The Secret Language of Cells takes us on an exciting journey into a world where we can visualize elaborate conversations among immune cells, brain cells, gut cells, bacteria, and even viruses. Dr. Lieff gives a wealth of examples for his thesis that this cellular signaling is the basis of life. It is a must read for anyone seeking to understand modern biology and advanced medical science. It is equally important for those of us who wonder, as I do, how this ubiquitous information transfer in the form of cellular conversations might be related to the emergence of intelligence and consciousness.
– Ray Kurzweil, Inventor, author and futurist
The Secret Language of Cells explains the complex ways that cells in the body communicate and presents a new paradigm for understanding health and disease. It also suggests new possibilities for treatment and for promoting healing. I’m pleased that my former Harvard colleague, Jon Lieff, has written this important book.
– Andrew Weil, M.D. Author; Director, Andrew Weil Center for Integrative Medicine; Professor University of Arizona College of Medicine
Through a brilliant synthesis of cellular biology, microbiology, immunology and neuroscience, The Secret Language of Cells offers a lucid explanation of the marvelous intricacies of cellular life. The result is a masterful exploration of the profound implications of cellular intelligence for understanding pathophysiology, human health and even our origins.
– William B. Miller, Jr., MD, physician, biologist, author of The Microcosm Within: Evolution and Extinction in the Hologenome, and internationally recognized expert on Cognition-Based Evolution
Jon Lieff’s description of cellular communication is insightful, provocative, illuminating, and engaging and provides deep and novel observations into the remarkable symphony of how life happens. Mimicking the cellular world he describes, Dr. Lieff is the great communicator and muse of living things. An inspiring and informative read.
– Ted Kaptchuk, Professsor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
This journey into the dynamic realm of cellular conversations is a tour-de-force – fascinating, vital, and especially timely for understanding emerging viruses. As we learn about intelligence in smaller and smaller animals, it’s not surprising that the tiniest creatures – microbes and even viruses – exhibit elaborate communication and complex decision making. Read The Secret Language of Cells! –
– Marc Bekoff, Ph.D., author of Canine Confidential: Why Dogs Do What They Do (University of Chicago and Unleashing Your Dog: A Field Guide to Giving Your Canine Companion the Best Life Possible
As a storyteller, my imagination is sparked by the insights Dr. Lieff brings to our innermost world and the mysteries at the edge of our understanding. The Secret Language of Cells reveals how the micro world reflects the macro, alive with heroes and villains, shapeshifters and tricksters, vigilant guards and gullible bystanders, helpers that commit suicide for the common good and warriors that seize the day or collapse from exhaustion. Lieff’s fascinating exploration inspires awe for the astonishing dialogues and clarion calls at the heart of the intelligence within.
– Antonia Felix, Ed.D., MFA, New York Times bestselling author
The Secret Language of Cells is ideal for the education of medical and science students, as well as for practicing physicians. Dr. Lieff’s remarkable synthesis of the scientific literature provides a current view of the intricate communication systems determining our physiology. He clearly explains how conversations among cells are the bridge between immunology, neuroscience, microbiology, and cancer research. Detailed Endnotes provide an avenue for further study, either on one’s own or as part of a formal course.
– Sharon Redd, MD , Senior Associate in Anesthesia, Boston Children’s Hospital, Boston, MA, Assistant Professor in Anesthesia, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, Harvard Medical School Admissions Committee, Harvard Medical School 1998-2005
Calling all physicians, microbiologists, medical students and fellow science enthusiasts- you’re going to love The Secret Language of Cells! This book reveals fascinating ongoing conversations between cells, bacteria and viral particles that provide the basis for understanding growth, development, healthy biology and pathology. Perhaps more importantly, they provide the blueprint for novel interventions, treatments and cures for ailments ranging from chronic inflammatory diseases, to cancers and even viral infections. The COVID19 Pandemic has focused the world’s lens on the world of microbes like never before. Read this book and join the conversation.
– Jill Grimes, MD, Family Physician, Speaker, Author & Educator